Ehsan Bayat – Entrepreneur and Humanitarian in Afghanistan
Afghanistan native Ehsan Bayat grew up in the capital city of Kabul during the era of Soviet occupation. He returned in the early 2000s and dedicated himself to rebuilding his home nation after many years of armed conflict. Since then, Ehsan Bayat has established himself as a leading telecommunications entrepreneur and humanitarian in Afghanistan.
Upon returning to the country in 2002, Mr. Bayat founded the telecommunications company Afghan Wireless, the first wireless communications company in Afghanistan’s history. Offering mobile phone service to consumers and businesses, Afghan Wireless played a critical role in the evolution of the country’s telecommunications infrastructure. Over the past 15 years, Afghan Wireless has grown to include more than 5 million business and consumer clients in all 34 provinces in Afghanistan. One of the largest employers in the country, the company provides jobs for 6,000 employees and supports the employment of another 100,000 people in related industries across Afghanistan.
In 2005, Ehsan Bayat began his second telecommunications venture in Afghanistan by founding Ariana Television and Radio Network (ATN), which currently stands as the largest private media channel in the country. ATN programming reaches more than 25 million Afghans, as well as Dari and Pashto speakers in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. In addition to entertainment programming, ATN broadcasts children’s shows, international news, and educational content.
Outside of the business sector, Ehsan Bayat provides humanitarian assistance for vulnerable populations throughout Afghanistan. He founded the Bayat Foundation in 2005, working together with his wife, Fatema Bayat, to improve the quality of life for Afghanistan’s women, children, elderly, and poor. Through the foundation, he oversaw the construction of 13 maternity and early childhood hospitals, which have delivered essential care for over 1.5 million mothers and children. For these efforts, he was awarded the National Human Rights Award from the Afghanistan Human Rights Association in 2006. The award was presented by President Hamid Karzai.
- How Tax Deductions and Tax Credits Can Save Business Owners Thousands - According to a study from leading B2B research company Clutch, small business owners are not nearly as tax savvy as they think they are. Thirty percent of small business owners believe they overpay on taxes and fail to claim legitimate tax credits and deductions; a statistic quite at odds with the 93 percent who say … Continue reading How Tax Deductions and Tax Credits Can Save Business Owners Thousands
- Business Focus: The Amazing Potential of Ecommerce in the Middle East - We look at the rise of ecommerce across the Middle East and North Africa region and how a new generation of consumers is driving a digital revolution.
- How To Create a Winning Business Strategy and Why It Is So Important - A sound business strategy sets a company on the right track to achieve both short- and long-term goals. Serving as a roadmap for achieving corporate objectives, a business strategy establishes principles that inform business decisions, actions, and priorities. A business strategy should be based on the business leadership’s overall vision and values. For some companies, … Continue reading How To Create a Winning Business Strategy and Why It Is So Important
- 3 Business Leaders Who Overcame Adversity - The Covid-19 pandemic highlighted the need for business agility like no other event in modern history, this pivotal moment dividing the business world into “survivors” and “thrivers.” While survivors concentrated on maintaining the status quo, thrivers grasped this seismic opportunity for transformation, recognizing the unexpected prospects it created, and reducing the risk of being left … Continue reading 3 Business Leaders Who Overcame Adversity
- 7 of the Most Common Entrepreneurship Mistakes and How to Avoid Them - The ability to learn from mistakes is all-important for new entrepreneurs. This is what enables them to rise above challenges rather than falling into desperation. However, in business, errors can be expensive. There is no need to repeat the mistakes of others who share their experience. This article explores seven common business mistakes, sharing strategies … Continue reading 7 of the Most Common Entrepreneurship Mistakes and How to Avoid Them